TravelSucks.comReturn HomeTravelSucks.com

- Helping frequent and casual travelers survive travel chaos since 1999 -

Tools News Specials Reservations Community Resources About
Google
Bookmark this site     del.ico.us     Furl     Reddit     Yahoo     Digg!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
We Bought the Mayan Palace Package

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Converted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: We Bought the Mayan Palace Package Reply with quote

While on vacation in Playa del Carman we bought a Mayan Palace Escape Vacation Package. Excited at the idea of all the wonderful vacations we would be able to take, we couldn't wait to receive our vacation materials that we were promised. We have since found out that we were misled from the very start. We were told by a man in the Mayan Palace kiosk next to where we stayed in Playa that if we would take a 90 min. tour of the Mayan Palace we would receive a discounted snorkeling trip the next day in Cozumel. Upon arrival at the Mayan Palace we found out that we were actually there to discuss a "timeshare" at the Mayan Palace. We told the salesman that we had no idea that we were there for a time-share, and had no intention of purchasing one for that matter. He seemed surprised that we weren't told the details by the guy back in Playa, and called his manager over and told him what we had said. The manager decided to show us the property anyway (no obligation of course), after-which we sat through their high-pressure sales pitch. We endured that for approx 3 hours and when we ultimately said we were NOT going to buy, they became rude and quickly ushered us out to the check-out person to receive our coupons for the snorkeling trip. A man came out and greeted us for what we thought was going to get our ride back to Playa. Instead, he tells us he is with the "Developers" of the property and he can offer us an even better deal than the "Marketing" reps we had just dealt with. We sat through ANOTHER 45 minute spill as to why we should purchase an even better deal than was just offered. We were promised 65% off all future airfare, a FREE 7 day cruise for 3 to anywhere we wanted to go on any cruise line,the use of ALL Mayan Palace resorts, ALL resorts that RCI and ICE had available in the world anytime we chose to use them, and the list goes on.....We received our "Discover the Dream" package last week, and wanted to use it for a ski trip in March, NOTHING is ava! ilable, the rates we were told are NOT correct. We are being quoted a totally different rate than the vouchers show, there is NOT any discount on airfare. It is the same as what American Airlines quoted me, and the representative with Discover the Dream had no clue what I was talking about. The voucher for the cruise states that it is valid for 16 mos, but when I tried to book that for 6-5-03, the rep told me we wouldn't be able to redeem it until 5-30-03. Which is 6 DAYS prior to sailing. I was also told that we would have to pay for the 3rd person. The list goes on with all the things we were told but has not been true..... My husband didn't want to purchase under pressure, and had a bad feeling from the start about the whole experience and how we were mis-lead from the beginning about WHY we were even there at their Resort. At my insistence, and against his better judgment, we bought their vacation package. We are extremely disappointed, we feel that we have been grossly mis- represented, and are in the process of protesting the charges with our credit card company.. In fact, we were told of this "Fraud" web-site BY our credit card company.... We hope no-one else has to go through this nightmare and that we will be able to re-coup the money we paid for this SCAM!!!!

Submitted By: franstewart1@msn.com
Posted: Sunday, Sept 21, 2003
Converted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE have made plans to vacation at the Mayan Palace next May, 04. We have heard of the high pressure time-share presentations at the palace.
We are expecting to encounter many bandits not only there but on the other side of every door we open. Thanks for the heads-up.

Submitted By: ampm2002@aol.com
Posted: November 11, 2003
Converted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello: Well I hate to say it but i just got roped into buying a dicover the dream package which cost 1300.00 U.S. and i have not recieved any information on this package yet because i just got back from my vacation but i was wondering if anybody has used the package at all it does seem too good to be true but sometimes you just never know. so please let me know if this package is a complete fraud or if this package could be used for anything at all. I see a lot of bad comments but i have not seen any good comments let me know of any comments you have regarding this package. The package i recieved was for a lifetime and the rooms would
only be 199.00 for a week if booked before 60 days and 349.00 of vacation booked within a year so please help. Thanks, Mike

Submitted By: MMCCLENDON@GKENGINEERS.COM
Posted: November 14, 2003
Converted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just returned from the Mayan Palace and experienced the same strong arm tactics. We too wound up purchasing the "Discover the Dream" package after sitting through 6 hours of sales attempts. They wear you down until you finally give in. If you are approached to attend a presentation at the Mayan Palace you should run away from them as fast as you can!! I have put the 3000.00 charge for the package in dispute with my Credit card company and will wait and see what happens next. Had I been able to leave the sales room and get to the internet, I never would have spent a dime with these people.

Submitted By: magnumpro@wi.rr.com
Converted
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was ambushed at the Airport for the same 90 minute presentation, which basically took most of the day. After several hours of saying I was not buying ANYTHING without time to consult my bank and a lawyer, I stood up and started to call for a Supervisor (I was told a Manager would have to sign for me to leave) I was threatened with having the Police called to arrest me! Every stage of "manager" brought yet another level of sales pitch. By the time we left myself and my three teenage children were shaking and quite stunned. The van ride back to our hotel was a venting session with the other people who had endured the ordeal. A note
for the people who will be staying at the Mayan Palace in May....our first
sales rep advised us that their best customers (40% sales rate) are people
who are actually staying at the Mayan on a rental basis. So definitely
expect the pressure. In fact, their whole sales pitch depends on people
buying two units so that they can rent out one of the units in order to
provide "fresh meat" as it were. Good luck.

Submitted By: rtoth0514@rogers.com
Posted: November 15, 2003
Erin
Non-Elite
Non-Elite

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Discover the dream - a HAPPY customer Reply with quote

Converted wrote:
Hello: Well I hate to say it but i just got roped into buying a dicover the dream package which cost 1300.00 U.S. and i have not recieved any information on this package yet because i just got back from my vacation but i was wondering if anybody has used the package at all it does seem too good to be true but sometimes you just never know. so please let me know if this package is a complete fraud or if this package could be used for anything at all. I see a lot of bad comments but i have not seen any good comments let me know of any comments you have regarding this package. The package i recieved was for a lifetime and the rooms would
only be 199.00 for a week if booked before 60 days and 349.00 of vacation booked within a year so please help. Thanks, Mike

Submitted By: MMCCLENDON@GKENGINEERS.COM

I own the same package as you do. It is $199-$349 for rooms 60 days or less and I have access to Member Preferred rates as well. Both show up on the website. It should be noted that this is the cheapest package they offer and thus doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the larger ones. Fortunately, I had an extremely honest sales person and she explained it thoroughly (works in Mazatlan). Anyway, I have used the program 6 times so far and have used the $199 weeks as well as the member preferred rate weeks. I stayed in a 2 bedroom with an ocean view for $239.00 for the week and I have also used the $199.00 weeks often for others. You have to be flexible with this program.

I think that the main issue is what people expect out of it. You have to read the contract and go only by what it says you get. I think that the majority on here that have had bad experiences were either misled by a salesperson and didn't read the contract carefully, or just have no idea what a hassle it is to deal with RCI to really see the differences between the two. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
I.P.
Non-Elite
Non-Elite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayan Palace or Mayan Resorts are getting alot of bad press for their fraudulent sales tactics. My husband and I were scammed by them and have found http://www.mayanpalace.info/ to be very helpful. There is information specifically about The Great Vacation Club scam on the website.
Agave100
Non-Elite
Non-Elite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Great Vacations Club Reply with quote

Great Vacations Club is definately a SCAM.

Never NEVER attend a Mexican Timeshare Presentation for any reason - PERIOD

If you already have, and purchased timeshare weeks or vacation club membership and do not feel good about your purchase, you only have 5 business days to rescind the agreement, and get your money back.

If you need more information on Mexican Timeshare &/or Vacation Club Scams, you can check these sites. They offer a wealth of information for helping you get a full refund. Remember, work fast, you only have 5 business days.

http://www.mescam.com/index.htm
http://www.mexicolaw.com/Timeshare.htm
http://members.cox.net/tequila1921/gvc/gvcscam.html
http://www.everythingagave.com/vacations/profecohelp.html
http://www.gkaufmann.com/Content/Places/MexicanTimeSharaeFraud.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TravelSucks.com Forum Index -> Hotel Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: